Friday, September 25, 2009

John Mackay Northe - rest in peace



Portrait of John's mother Edna.




The day the earth stood still

Today Rob and I went to the memorial service for John Mackay Northe. It was a touching celebration and I felt privileged to be there. John's aunt Jeanette spoke on behalf of the family. I loved the stories of his childhood, when he would wind string all around his garden and hang hundreds of objects from the trees. She talked about his time at Arts Project and it was very clear how important it was for John that his talent was recognised and valued. John was fortunate that members of his family gave him the support and freedom to be true to himself. A sad but beautiful farewell.


Images care of Arts Project Australia. All works pictured are in the Permanent Collection.

1 comment:

Joanna Anderson said...

I love John's drawings. I saw some in that Arts Project catalogue for the first time ever at your place last week and they have made a big impression on me. Rest in peace John.